top of page
Prestolee Graduation.jpg

Funding your Teacher Training

Understanding how to manage your finances and apply for student finance is an essential part of starting your teacher training. To help, we have put together some information about student finance, council tax and budgeting go-to's to help you plan and prepare.

Student Finance England

Funding for your teacher training is available from Student Finance England. You can apply for a tuition fee loan for the tuition fees and a maintenance loan to help cover living costs while you study.  This is the most common way to fund your teacher training year.


Student Loans Decoded

Money Saving Expert is a fantastic starting point for understanding key changes to student finance. 

This article covers the new Plan 5 loans that came into effect from September 2023, looking at repayment thresholds, repayment terms, and interest rates. If you are unsure about taking out student finances in light of the new changes, Martin Lewis' breakdown will provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision!


If you're unsure about your entitlement, or have a query about your student loan, getting in touch with Student Finance England is the best approach. They can discuss your application with you in detail and answer any questions you may have. The quickest way to do this is by telephone:

0300 100 0607


You can also chat to an advisor via webchat through your Student Finance England account.

Council Tax

As a student, you can apply for a council tax reduction with your local council. Trainees on our course receive a confirmation of student status letter to support their reduction application. 

More information can be found on your local council website.

Helpful Links & Resources

bottom of page